A few weeks ago, I shared my feelings about men wearing their coats without putting their arms through the sleeves (See Here.) Shoulder slinging on men is best left for the pimps to swagger on with, but now it’s time to address those women who’ve hit the repeat button one too many times with this street-style craze of wearing their coats on their shoulders. If you needed a clearer sign that things have gotten out of control with shoulder slinging, I ask to take a look at exhibit labeled “REALLY.”
This week in fashion has been bittersweet. First we lost a very talented woman, L’Wren Scott. Then the end of a particularly brutal Winter, Spring has officially begun. It’s the changing of the guard, endings and beginnings, reminding us that nothing is forever. We have several links that challenge both old ideas (racism, sexism, both) and how to bring in the new (setting our Spring budget, getting to the gym, improving our diets) and even a nicely written post sympathizing with Fashion Blogger’s significant others — they have it so hard putting up with us!
Links à la Mode: March 20th
- Adored in Armor: Flappers Hear Them Roar
- Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans: Ciaté Mini Mani Month Set Review
- Confessions of a Style Cookie: At the Chanel Marché
- FASHSTASH: Cultural Appropriation or Appreciation?
- Fish Monkey’s Writing: Women’s History and Diversity in Fashion
- Lara Lizard: Become a Model, But Pay First!
- Les Assorties: A Scent From Another Era
- Madame Ostrich: Her Name is L’Wren Scott
- Ms. Fabulous: How to Become a Stylist to the Stars
- Rhinestone Religion: 5 Quick Tips for Incredible Workout Motivation
- Romeo Style: Fashion Spring Proofing
- Saturn Satori: Fit and Beautiful: Eat Like a Model
- Style Context: Five Petite Wardrobe Myths
- The Creative Bent: 10 Problems with Dating a Fashion Blogger
- The Curatorial: Stop Racism: Walter Van Beirendonk’s Paris Presentation
- The Fashion Barbie: What to Wear While Shopping
- The Walrus Room: Quick Tips for Dressing Like The Young Witches of AHS
- Trendsurvivor: The Must Have New Jeans & How to Wear Them
- We Are Ready Made: Are We Going to Miss The Sweatshirts?
- What Pixies Wear: Blue Coat Trend in Fashion
Want to be featured in Links à la Mode?
A fashion advisory is in effect for us before spring arrives. Due to the awful treatment we’ve received from Mother Nature this winter, let’s acknowledge that the first few days we get anything above 60 degrees, all of our common sense will go out the window, and we’ll shop like clothes-starving zombies for things we have no business buying. Drunk in Trends. That’s what that is, and at the end of it all, you’ll be rolling around on the ground alright, but not like Beyonce on a beach shaking your hips. You’ll be on your cold apartment floor throwing a fit wondering where did all of your money go? This year we should take some knuckle cracking time aside to prepare our wardrobes, wallets and still look “Flawless!”